Monday, July 14, 2008

The Work Never Ends

This weekend I decided to finish up a couple of rooms that needed painting. (This does not in any way mean I am finished painting, just marking two rooms off the list.) The first was Brad's former room, which he had started painting but didn't finish before he moved out. I didn't take pictures of the before and after, but the before was actually kind of cute--for a girl. Each wall was a different color--green, yellow, pink, blue and purple. Cute! Now, though, it's a pale shade of tan. Maybe someday I'll paint it something a little peppier.

The other room is the room I designated my guest room. Here's the before:



The big white square on the wall above the bed is where the previous owners had a shelf unit attached. Evidently they thought it was too much trouble to take it down when they sprayed the room blue. It wasn't so bad because I really like blue. But the bleeding stenciled butterflies and dragonflies gave me nightmares. There were even a few blobs that I think were supposed to be flowers. Stenciling is a cute idea, but only if it's done well.



The green I painted the room was kind of an easy choice--I found the gallon of paint on the mistint shelf at Lowe's for $5.00. Couldn't beat that! Here's the after:



The closet doors are still beset with drippy flies, but I plan to take the doors down completely and put up curtains. And yes, I know there are cat-themed pillows on the bed. I like cats and everyone I know takes that fact as a guide whenever they go gift shopping. So I have many many things with cats on them. The decor of this room is kind of tongue-in-cheek. After all, I'm 35, single, and own 3 cats. If you can't poke fun at yourself, where's the fun?

The quilt across the foot of the bed is one my grandmother made many years ago. I have several that I would like to decorate with. I'm hoping to find some way to hang one over the bed without damaging the fabric. And the lamp is a hobnailed milk glass one I found in an antique store here in town. I have two more I'm using in my bedroom. One was my grandmother's and the other I purchased in an antique store in Missouri. I love them, but my sister thinks they're ugly. Oh well. There's no accounting for her taste.

OK, I'm off to go dig out some more cat-themed items for this room. I know that stuff's in a box around here somewhere....

No comments:

Post a Comment