Monday, October 20, 2008

EEEEKKKKKK!!!!!!

Up-to-the-minute blogging from the house....

Just a few minutes ago I was sitting on the sofa with my laptop updating my Netflix queue when I heard a ruckus outside the back door. Tommy went from a dead sleep to slinking toward the cat door to check it out. Thinking it was Sam "protecting" the homestead from a neighborhood cat, I got up and flipped on the porch light, opened the door, and stepped outside.

"Sammy," I called. "Where are you puddin' head?"

I was looking down at the bottom of the fence next to the wall of the house where part of the board is broken expecting to see my short-haired brown tabby pop through. Instead, I find myself with a beady-eyed little gray opposum dashing past my feet. Eeekkkk!!! I saw it disappear across the patio and into the yard.

I barely got my feet back on the ground when a second one popped through! Oh My God!! It turned and darted back through the hole in the fence in about the same nano-second it took me to leap back into the house and slam the door behind me. My heart took a minute or two to stop pounding from that hirsute surprise.

I'll give you all a minute to chortle at my cowardice...

All right, I know they're not dangerous, but come on! They're disgusting little disease-carrying marsupials. I don't really want to be hanging out with opposums and I certainly don't want them around my cats! And what's with that whole playing dead thing they're supposed to do when faced with danger?? These two acted like they had rocket boots on!

Now I'm trying to decide about the cat door. Do I really want those creatures roaming around my house at night? Wait. Maybe that's why the cat food is disappearing so quickly. Eeww!

Great. Now I'm going to be terrified of stumbling over one of them in the middle of the night. I'd rather have the squirrels back in the attic. Guess I need to find someone to come trap them.

Ah, home ownership!

No comments:

Post a Comment