Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Further Adventures in Baking

One or two of you may remember my attempts at making biscuits last year. Believe it or not, I have had a few successes since then.

But, in my new-found attempt to cut back on the amount of High Fructose Corn Syrup I consume, I decided to start baking my own bread. (I was shocked to find HFCS in a loaf of whole-wheat bread! That stuff is everywhere!!) Being relatively lazy, I decided to get a bread maker.

Simple, right? Just place the ingredients in the pan, turn it on, and it does all the work, right? Maybe for you and the rest on the planet, but last night I opened the machine to find this:


For some reason, my beautifully risen dough had fallen before the baking process started. It only filled up half the pan. Can't be too bad, though, right? RIGHT?

Bravely, I turned the pan over and released the bread. It hit with a "thunk!" Hmm, sounds kind of heavy. I sliced into it. Actually, I sawed into it. And sawed. Bravely, I nibbled a small chunk and almost lost a tooth.
According to the troubleshooting section of the bread machine's user manual, the bread either had too much flour, or too much water. That's sad, because the only contributions I had to make to this entire process was to measure and pour.

Maybe I should throw out my "Elly Mae Clampett Guide to Cooking."

No comments:

Post a Comment